Monday, November 24, 2014

Snowpiercer

We finally watched Snowpiercer! I first heard of the movie a few months back when someone described as a steampunk, post-apocalyptic, dystopian future where all of humanity lives on a train and Chris Evans plays the lead. I didn't need to know more, every single word of that description just made me want it more. Right?! Unfortunately, and despite coming out last year, it wasn't available in this country yet, so I was forced to wait. Then Netflix got it! All hail the mighty Netflix! So we watched it and it was everything I dreamed and hoped. I highly recommend you take a couple of hours and enjoy the film yourself.

source
Look at that all-star cast!
Here's the trailer, so you don't just have to take my word for how awesome it is. Though you should; I have impeccable taste.




Seriously, it was amaze-balls. The twists and turns are not entirely unexpected - you'll spend the whole movie waiting for the other shoe to drop, as it does, repeatedly - but they still make for a wild ride. And I don't want to give it away entirely but (minor spoiler!) it ends on a hopeful note. Probably... Which is really what I need from a movie to walk away satisfied. You can get as dark as you want during the meat of the film, but I better see some glimmer of redemption in the last few seconds, at least. Real life gets dark enough, I watch movies and TV shows to escape, however briefly, into fantasy worlds where there is always a little light at the end of the tunnel. See what I did there, with the train tunnel reference? Yeah, you come back to this blog for a reason, I know.

So go watch Snowpiercer!



P.S. I'm still borrowing computers to post from, but I really wanted to get back in the swing of regular posting so I'm holding one hostage to do this! All for you guys! I *think* my computer is going to be working again as of this evening, so hopefully I'll be able to do something a little longer for Friday, somthing you can sink your teeth into. Still making Snowpiercer references, ha! Watch the movie and you'll get it. 

2 comments:

  1. I like that the ending is open for interpretation. Per the director it's supposed to be optomistic, but again, it's open for each viewer to decide what that final scene means.
    It's also not a movie I care to see more than once. Did you realize the teacher was the same actor who played Kim in Scott Pilgrim?
    Also the first time, I did not have on subtitles, so I missed much of the significance of what the Korean guy said.
    Mind blown the second time I watched it (and I know I said I wouldn't watch it again, but I watched it solo the first time. Christopher hadn't seen it yet so I watched it again with him.)
    Also I'm still blown away by Tilda Swinton's performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did recognize Kim! It was eerie. Tilda Swinton was freaking epic, her performance was so impressive. I too like the open-ending conclusion. I would watch it again, now that I know the ending at least, but I can see why people wouldn't want to. It's... rough. And very upsetting a lot of the time.

      Delete