Friday, August 8, 2014

30 Before 30 - Check In

My dear friend, Mrs. Wilson, inspired me to create this list when she created her own. Now, her blog has inspired me to check in with my progress on it. I've created a separate post with the original list as posted on Facebook before I started blogging again, so check that if you're curious about the rationale for my list items.

1.     Get married. I'm now engaged, so we're getting closer!
2.     Have a kid. Waiting for the wedding, but again, since I'm engaged I'm getting closer on this one.
3.     Sell my crafts. Grad school and job searching haven't given me much time to focus on this. I did sell a cake last summer, so... that's something.
4.     Learn to sew. I haven't even begun to address this. I've repaired a few buttons, but nothing major.
5.     Learn more about my car. I've sort of resisted doing this with my current car because I hope not to have it much longer, but I have learned a little more about cars in general since helping my boyfriend FIANCE fix his brakes.
6.     Own a newer car. Gotta get a job first!
7.     Stop renting. Again, a job will be necessary.
8.     Get a pet (or pets). Got a puppy! I still want a cat, but I'm checking this one off as accomplished!
9.     Blog. Look at where we are! Check-a-rooni.
10. Keep a journal regularly. I've decided I do indeed want this to be separate from my blog so it can be a little more casual/personal. That said, I've moved and don't have all my stuff with me, including my journal. I'm too cheap to buy one when I know I have one already. It's a temporary stalemate.
11. Write every day. Getting closer with blogging slightly more often than every other day (plus I often write posts on days off so they're ready to go later). Gotta do more.
12. Finish a book. This is probably part of how I'll accomplish #11, but I still haven't started.
13. Read the Bible. Sigh. Nope. Nothing yet.
14. Create art. Like so many things on this list, I'm waiting until I have a job and therefore disposable income to devote to supplies for this kind of thing. Plus, it'd really work better in my own place and I'm still staying with family at the moment.
15. Start a bonsai. Again, again, don't have my own place to put it just yet.
16. Get close to someone. I got pretty close with some grad school people, and this will also probably be easier now that I live closer to my undergrad buds.
17. Let go. Blogging has been really helpful in this regard. I don't know that I'll ever not be upset about some things, but I've made a lot of progress so this one gets checked off.
18. Get my Associate’s Degree in ASL. Yeah... will also depend on employment and cost. I want to do it but I might let this one slide for a few extra years.
19. Travel. Honeymoon will be the first step!
20. Attend Comic Con/BlizzCon/cons in general. I've been to GMX and MTAC now (didn't care for MTAC) and might be going to Blizzcon this year? But I will definitely be hitting SDCC next summer.
21. Start taking violin/voice lessons. Money, money, money. Gotta have some to pay for all these goals!
22. Diet and exercise. I've gone low carb, and also sporadically do yoga and P90X with my fiancé, so I'm making progress. I'll wait to check this off until I'm a little more consistent with the work outs.
23. Become a cook. I'm just not comfortable cooking in other people's homes, even if I live there, so this has been put on hold.
24. Work as an SLP. Currently my biggest annoyance, TRYING TO FIND A JOB. Geez, my various teachers and supervisors talked like people would be begging me to come work for them but I've had nothing in 3 months.
25. Pay off student loans. Haven't started, need a job... 
26. Take Dave Ramsey’s financial peace course. I feel like I need an income before this would be helpful.
27. Tattoos! Also requires money. Geez, I should have picked some cheaper goals!
28. Gaming. I'm pretty pumped about the release of Garden Warfare for PS4, does that count?
29. Learn how to style myself. I've figured out how I want to handle my hair, and after some research, I've discovered that what I do for make-up is pretty much how it's supposed to go, so I'm calling this done.

30. Cut my hair. Think I'll keep it long until the wedding, but after, it's on!


Not bad, 4 done in about half a year. I think they'll check off faster once I start earning.

1 comment: