Friday, August 15, 2014

Friends Questionnaire

I'm interviewing you guys!

Not really, but this post is intended to be somewhat interactive so interact! Guys! Come one! It'll be fun, promise.

The idea is that periodically I am going to take questions, 5 at a time, from this list published on Hello Giggles (which is an awesome site co-founded by Zooey Deschanel that you should totes check out) and answer them for you guys. You are strongly encouraged - but not required because how could I possibly enforce that? Note to self, look into how to enact mind control/ensure obedience of blog readers - to also answer the questions in the comments! Got it? Party on.

1. Who are your top three lady heroes?
I feel like if I'm going to say either Tina Fey or Amy Poehler I have to say both, so I'll start with those two. Not only are they hilarious, but they are great roles models for friendship, success, feminism, healthy body image, and general bad-assery.


For the last, probably Elizabeth Warren. The more I find out about her and her politics, the more I like her. Among other things, she's about reducing student debt and protecting women's rights - both close to my heart - and just seems generally like a decent human being. Which is rare among politicians, amiright?

via her website, linked above

2. When you were little, what did you want to be?
This is a little weird, but honestly, I wanted to be an archaeologist. I even took a few archaeology courses in college as they would fit into fulfilling my various general education and major requirements. Guess what? Loved it. But there's not much money or stability in it as a career unless you teach, which so isn't me, so I went a different direction. Most people think I developed this desire as a result of watching Indian Jones movies, and I do love those movies (with the exception of Temple of Doom - too weird!), but what actually inspired me was this game:


It's not super accurate to real history, but it does make a bit of a fantastical pass at it. And it was successful in presenting the subject of ancient history in an entertaining enough way that even though it never became my career, it is still one of my interests.

3. Who do you think should run for president in two years?
Um, back to heroes, Elizabeth Warren? She's said repeatedly that she won't be running, but I think she'd make a good candidate. Maybe we can talk her into it someday.

4. What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year? Ever?
This year is an easy answer:


It's the final book in my favorite series of all time, Wheel of Time. It was actually released in January of 2013, but I was busy with grad school and wanted to be able to give the book my full attention, so I postponed reading it til this summer.

All time favorite book? That's much tougher. It might just be Dune. I know it's not technically a stand alone book as there are many following it, but the part of the story presented in this initial volume can stand alone if you're not a series person (although I would definitely recommend all of them). I've read the book many times and never get tired of it. To be fair, that's true of many books I read, but still. Is it clear that I'm a sci-fi/fantasy type of person? That should be clear now.

via source linked above

5. Truly, H&M or Forever 21?
Pretty sure I've never stepped foot in an H&M. Not sure I've ever even seen one. Probably when I wasn't paying attention. So the award must go to Forever 21 by default, despite the fact that I've only shopped at one of those maybe once in a year. I will say, F21 carries watermelon sour straws, which have been impossible for me to find elsewhere, and those are amaze-balls, so they will retain my patronage as long as they continue to do so.


So readers, what are your answers? You don't have to go into as much detail as I have, or answer all of the questions, but if it floats your boat to do so, do the thing!

5 comments:

  1. 1. Wonder Woman, Maya Angelou, and Rosa Parks (not necessarily in that order). I like that Rosa Parks was initially a sort of anit-hero that helped ignite a movement.
    2. Similar to you, I wanted to be a paleontologist. As a youth, I had a deep and abiding love of dinosaurs. Paleontology seemed like the obvious choice to get down and dirty (literally, as it were) with my fascination.
    3. Stephen Colbert, though I'd hate see him set aside comedy for such a serious role.
    4. My favorite book(s) so far this year have been the first two books of the Stormlight Archive (also by Sanderson, interestingly enough). Nailing down a favorite book of all time is more difficult. Just like many other favorites, they can change with our tastes or our maturity. For many years, I counted Fahrenheit 451 as my favorite book. However, I have really only discovered my truest love for sci-fi/fantasy in the last 3 or 4 years. The first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicle (Rothfuss) really delighted me, and now surpass my love for Fahrenheit 451. But if we really want to go with favorite of all time, we'll have to go back in time about 2500 years. The depth, scope, and fantastical nature of Homer's Odyssey strikes a resounding chord in me. The Odyssey, then, is probably my favorite book (epic poem) ever.
    5. I've never heard of Truly, so scratch that one. H&M doesn't carry any clothing for men over 6ft and/or 160lbs., so I never stood a chance there. I've only been about 10 feet inside the front door of a Forever 21, and only the one time to buy a gift card for my sister. I don't even know if they sell dude stuff. I don't think any of those stores are for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting the Stormlight Archive now. Also, for #5, I'm pretty sure "truly" was intended to read as "Honestly, which of these 2 do you prefer?" Unless that's the joke you were making and I missed it :D

      Delete
  2. That explains why she always posts links to Hello Giggles on her Facebook page...

    1. Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, aaaaaand....half-a-dozen bloggers. lol
    2. I knew I *didn't* want to teach, or be a veterinarian. Or do anything dangerous, like military, police, or firefighters. Honestly...I wanted to work in a cubicle. AND HERE I AM. (Note, not currently in a cubicle. I am, in fact, sitting on my couch.)
    3. Psh, I have no idea.
    4. This year, I'd have to go with the I Bring the Fire series, by C. Gockel. As for all-time...I'm not sure. I'm trying to think of books that I have read multiple times. Hmm...I might have to go with John Dies at the End, because scrolling through my Goodreads list of read books that was the only one that I went "Oh oh oh!" as I skimmed over it.
    5. I guess Forever 21, for the same reason you chose it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for fulfilling dreams! #3 was my most iffy response also. I just don't know enough about the people out there to really say much about it. I could fix that probably, but I'm lazy...

      Delete
    2. Testify! I'm a card-carrying member of the lazy club. Well, I would be if anyone got around to actually printing up the cards or forming the club.

      Delete