Friday, August 1, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Review


Well, Marvel Cinematic Universe fans, it's finally here. Guardians of the Galaxy. It's been a long wait since the previous installment of Phase 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier. And while that movie was ridiculously amazing and epic in it's own right, I left the theater after seeing it with a feeling of urgency. I needed more. I needed the next part of the story. Frankly, I've felt that way since Alexis Denisof was introduced as The Other at the end of Avengers. GIVE ME MORE! my heart cries, every time another Mavel-ous cinematic adventure comes to a close. But the gap between these two pieces of the overarching story seemed particularly long. Perhaps because I had become accustomed to Agents of Shield providing a more minor fix between big hits, but whatever the case, it was torturous for me. 

At long last, the day arrived. I actually saw the film last night, with no 3D and not on IMAX. Before it leaves theaters, I hope to rectify both. The Avengers feels more personal than GotG because it's characters the world at large is more familiar with, fighting for OUR planet. But Guardians has the grand scale of space that just begs to been seen in IMAX. Regardless of you preferences in screen size and number of dimensions, the film is well worth your time (as if you needed to be talked into seeing it!)

This is the point at which, if you haven't seen it, I would recommend leaving the post and returning after the weekend. Because you're all going to see it this weekend, right? There is really no good excuse not to. Then, come back and finished reading here because the SPOILERS! that follow will no longer matter to you. Cheers!

***SPOILER ABOUT NATHAN FILLION THAT I STILL RECOMMEND YOU READ BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE, however, or you might miss his cameo. It's been all over the net for days that our favorite space cowboy would have a Marvel part. He did a little voice work for GotG, credited as "Monstrous Inmate." I didn't know his part title til after my viewing, so I missed it, and I want to spare you my mistake. I believe his is the big guy that harasses Star Lord, calling him "fresh meat," when he enters the general population in the prison sequence, so keep an ear out for him. (And let me know if I'm wrong in the comments. Like I said, I didn't think about this til after the movie so I can't really remember that guy's voice.)

It's become an expectation for Marvel Films, in keeping with the feel of the source material and Whedon's overall style, that they will be comedic, epic, dramatic, and poignantly human. The characters are always incredibly well-rounded and multi-faceted, delivering in the space of couple of hours performances that are all at once hilarious, forlorn, and kick ass while housed in non-stop witty banter. Guardians is no exception, and this film offers up tons of fan service (as in references, not boobs, you boob!) You will laugh, cry, and cheer, which would sound like a cliche if it were so damn true. 

I have to compliment all the actors in this film. They just did a phenomenal job. I don't know what it is about Marvel movies that brings out the best in people, but they always do! Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, and Vin Diesel we should all be familiar with by now, and I've loved each in their various other roles. But man, for GotG, they brought it. 

Bradley Cooper's delivery of Rocket's drunk and angry rant about being called "vermin" and "rodent" by his companions is nothing short of heart-wrenching. If you didn't believe a CGI raccoon could bring you to tears, prepare to be wrong. His hilarious sass throughout the rest of the film is exactly the kind of performance at which you would expect Cooper to excel, and he does not disappoint.

He's just so cute! But don't pet him...

I've loved Chris Pratt for years now on Parks and Rec, but I'm a little ashamed to say that I have not yet seen him in Zero Dark Thirty. So GotG was my first exposure to a (semi) serious Pratt, and my god, he nailed it. He pulls off forlorn, the couple of times it happens, pretty well, but I was most pleasantly surprised with the scenes in which he showcases some impressively genuine anger. One great example, which the world has already seen in sneak peeks, was his challenge of a prison guard who steals his "awesome mix." When you have the film context that it was one of they only physical remnants he has of his time on Earth, with his mother, it's even more striking.

Plus, dude got RIPPED!

Saldana I was probably least surprised by. That's not to say that she didn't do an excellent job, because she absolutely did, but her character is so similar to other characters that she's played previously - intelligent, deadly, well-equipped for space - that I expected her to deliver exactly as well she did. She did have a few fun lines that caught me off-guard, including ranting at Star Lord that she won't be tricked by his "pelvic sorcery."

I believe this is just before the "pelvic sorcery" conflict.

Vin Diesel, man. I have always loved this dude. It's hard to evaluate a performance when it's purely vocal and also only one line, but he still rocked the house. Hopefully all my readers know that Vinny recorded dozens of takes of the famous "I am Groot," line, and it's really cool to watch the movie and actually hear all of the different inflections and feelings he put into each. I can't be sure, because all of the characters are amusing and likable, but Groot might be my favorite. He is both comically innocent and frighteningly bad ass.

How can he be so large and still so cute?

Dave Bautista debuted as an actor in this film and I am incredibly impressed with his performance. I knew he would be able to handle the actions sequences well, but his interactions with his costars and his delivery are both remarkable as well. I look forward to seeing more of him and this character in the future. Favorite line: "Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it."

Pretty amazing for a first time actor!

There are so many other famous people in this film that I could discuss with you for hours on end, and I gladly will in the comments or in person if you wish, but I'm going to wrap this post up here to allow us both to get some rest. 

Until we meet again, Marvel Cinematic Universe fans! Boy, we need a better, shorter name. Nerds is too general, I think. Ideas?

TLDR: The movie is AWESOME in the truest sense of the word, and is just an incredibly fun time. Every single person on screen delivers a great performance, and it is a worthy addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

UPDATE. Since posting, I've had a few discussions that made me realized I left a little bit out of what I wanted to say:
1. There are 2 post credits scene, as Marvel has been doing lately, so stay through the very end.
2. I sort of compared GotG to Winter Soldier, but I want to clarify that while they are both extremely wonderful, they have VERY different feels. This movie is a lot more...laid back and a ton of fun.
3. If you've been under a rock and haven't heard all of the people equated this film to Star Wars, I'll be the one to tell you that there are a lot of parallels between Guardians and Star Wars. It has very much that kind of space epic feel, so keep an eye out for common themes.
4. One thing I really loved was that GotG has a cast of characters that are largely typical humans, so to speak, going up against greater evil. Obviously these characters have abilities your regular earthlings don't, but they don't have "powers" in the same sense the Avengers do.

No comments:

Post a Comment