Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Opening Weekend

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I worked at a movie theater part time for 7 years. In that time, I experience quite a few...interesting customer interactions, as does anyone who works with the public. Here are some I shared a while ago on my old blog, as promised. The age is revealed but the movie referenced at the bottom. Enjoy!



A few of my favorite interactions at the theatre!


"What do you mean it's sold out already?!"
What I mean is that we have sold all the tickets to the 7:30 show. Considering it is now 7:45, this shouldn't be that surprising. Also, as it's opening weekend of the first blockbuster of the summer, we actually sold out YESTERDAY you freaking moron. Tickets are sold first come, first served. I'm sorry you didn't plan ahead, but it is not my fault.

"There is NOWHERE to sit."
Wrong. It is literally impossible for me to sell more tickets than we have seats. I can hit the little button on the screen all you or I want, but nothing will be rung up. That means, if you have a ticket, you have a seat. (If someone sneaked in, that's not my fault, and I also have no way of knowing that.) Not to mention, on average, every one of our screens has approximately 10 extra seats that are not included in the count. These are there specifically for sold out shows to help alleviate the crowding. I'm sorry you couldn't find good seats or seats together with all your friends, but be honest, that probably has more to do with you showing up 10 minutes late, and not us overselling. We have no problem giving a refund, just tell the truth: "Hey, we were running late and the only seats left are right up front, can we return these?"

*Or a variation of the above:
"We bought tickets online a week ago and still can't find seats!"
A ticket guarantees you a seat, it does not guarantee you a good seat. The people who showed up an hour early and waited in line got the good seats right in the middle. It never ceases to amaze me how many people show up late to a sold out show because, hey! We were smart and bought our tickets early! You still have to make it into the theatre genius. Don't come out and yell at me because you didn't think it through.

"I'm so mad at you guys, why doesn't it say online when a show is sold out?! We drove all the way here!"
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I heard this. Do you understand how ridiculous your expectations are here? We don't have somebody standing by at a computer in the back so that the instant we sell out he can change the website and mobile site. We have shows starting about every hour, by the time we could specifically post that one show is unavailable, another is starting, so hey, but tickets to THAT movie! Also, the website does actually indicate when a showing is sold out in that if you try to buy tickets it won't let you. ALSO, it's not uncommon that even theatre employees don't know when something has sold out. There are usually at least 4 different registers selling tickets, not to mention people purchasing online. This means that while we may have had 60 tickets the last time I sold some, the next time I try we may have zero.

"What?! Your website says you have a show starting at [sometime that we do NOT have a show starting]!"
I'm just going to have to call you a liar here. Straight up. The website is linked directly to our register system; that's how it deducts tickets from online sales so we can't oversell them at the actual box office. That means that the shows I'm seeing are the same you see on your screen at home. And you're lying. Not to mention, every employee has a smart phone, and there are computers in the back. We can check the website itself and see that you're lying. This happens so often, I usually keep the mobile site open at work so I can call people on it when they try to make out that it's our fault. Look folks, the times change EVERY TIME A MOVIE IS RELEASED. This means at least every Friday, sometimes more often than that. You need to check the available times for the exact day you are planning to come. Don't look at Wednesday, then show up Saturday and throw a tantrum because we don't have what you want. You little LIAR.

Now go enjoy a film this week! How about this one:

source

No comments:

Post a Comment