Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Crumb Cake

I have been craving sweets like mad the past several days. This is unusual for me. For all that I like baking, I don't really enjoy eating many baked goods. A bite or two if it's the right dish or the right occasion, and I'm easily satisfied. I blame this new-found craving on the heavy reduction of carbs in my diet; my body grew to crave them and deprived of that sugary goodness, I've started going for more traditional treats. I've allowed myself to indulge because I quickly discovered that I still don't eat much of whatever pastry I buy, just that one bite or two, as before. I just actually crave that one bite rather than taking it out of obligation - after all, you can't say no to cake at a wedding or pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving! - so I've started keeping something around. For instance, this crumb cake.

From Publix, which has an indecently good bakery for a grocery store.
There is about a quarter of it left, and considering 2 people have been eating on it for a little over a week, you can tell we don't partake heavily. Just a bit of sugar on the tongue every now and again. I want to be healthy and long-lived, but I also want to enjoy that life, which means I am allowing myself to eat cake periodically without guilt. Not that there was ever much risk of that in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment