Monday, September 15, 2014

Surgery

Today, I'm forgoing a regular post as Moose is having surgery. Specifically, he's getting neutered today. I know it's not really that big a deal, but for some reason I'm incredibly excited/nervous about it. Since I don't currently have any children, and won't for years yet, Moose is the closest thing I have to offspring. He's the first real pet I've had (my crappy ex got me both a cat and a dog at different points in time only to give them away after a few weeks, all without discussing it with me, so I don't count them), and since we rescued him from the street when he was only 2 months old, I've really bonded with him as my "baby." So taking him to the vet for various check-ups and treatments has had a feeling similar to pediatrician visits for me, and this event especially feels like such a key, parent-y moment. Also, given my rant about responsible dog adoption and ownership a few weeks back (spay and neuter to reduce the number of homeless and euthanized pets!), this event is a significant moment in living up to my own standards. 

Nothing to do with his surgery, I just thought this was funny.
He was trying to jump from the bed to the chair and didn't quite make it.
He was able to wriggle his way up eventually. We did not help because
we believe in fostering independence and also it was hilarious to watch.
All that said to explain that I'm a bit high-strung today for what I fully realize is a ridiculous reason, but given my state, I won't be writing a full post. I'll just be sitting here, pining for my sweet puppy while he's at the vet, and giving him lots of care and love while he recovers at home. Happy Monday all, may you have a week filled with adorable pets and/or children!

No comments:

Post a Comment